Hello Dear Esther fanatics,
I am in the process of completely overhauling the Dear Ester wiki. I find it sad that I have left 2 of my most important wiki's in such a drab and unprofessional state. I have been learning css for a little while now, and I can tell that the result are worth it.
Dear Esther is, in my opinion at least, a phenomenal game that attempts something that hasn't been tried much yet. I think that the wiki, as such, requires more care. I am making and improving lots of templates that will be easy to use. The mainpage is right now the most important to get right first, and is entirely in my hands. Everything else is for you and me together. I want a lot of extra information and insights on specific items in Dear Esther wiki,…Read more >
I've stumbled accross some rare background information on the Chinese Room's site.
It explains what Pinchbeck was thinking when he wrote the script for Dear Esther and it's some pretty interesting, in depth insight that really benefit the wiki and help people understand the story, however, I'm unsure as to how we can impliment his notes on parts of the script onto our current transcript. Would it be best to have it immediately under the quote? Or put it further down and leave a little reference number next to the quote that it's relevant to?
He also wrote about the plot in great detail, such as the constant references to twenty one and so on, I haven't had a chance to read it in full detail but it looks like it might be of great use to the m…Read more >
This week in edits I have:
- Added to Dan Pinchbeck's page adding more information on his projects and some things from his bio on the University of Portsmouth site.
- Made a few corrections in reguards to people getting Jakobson's name confused with Paul Jacobson's. Though thechineseroom themselves made this error so maybe I'll need to start a crusade changing all the Jacobsons to Jakobsons.
- Added more thing to Paul Jacobson's page though I'm a bit stuck on the plot part since the version I played had little to no extra items.
Read more >
That's it this week I guess.
I decided to (like begunmydescent) to keep an update of what I have done for future reference, I've named it after an old blog I had.
So this week I have:
- Added some observations to the "trivia/notes" section of main characters.
- Added a page for "thechineseroom" though this could be built on, I got the information off of thechineseroom's website and put it into my own words.
- Added a page on "The Hermit" since I feel his presence is more than strong in the game, I would also like to add a page on the island and a section on the ghosts page which would offer speculation on the identity of each ghost. Of course on a wiki like this a lot of articles will feature some form of speculation since Dear Esther has no real answers.
- I've added things over …
Read more >
So, I've been editing a few pages.
I noticed the page Dear Esther (2012) was being used as a placeholder, so I put a delete note on it. Also, a person not very bright created the exceptionally in-depth explanation of who, what and where TheChineseRoom are. I also made sure to categorize things. The admin of this page should really be more active, a lot of things need tending.
Overall, I believe I will fill this wiki with a lot of useful content.Read more >